Skip to main content

This is New York, Babe!

Last weekend I traveled to New York City with my husband and some friends to run the Airbnb half marathon in Brooklyn, NY.  Let's be honest, that was only one reason we traveled to New York. The other reasons being that it's an amazing place with lots of good memories in the jungle of concrete, car horns, and food carts.  I always say, you never forget your first trip to the city.  Bright lights, huge buildings, people of all kinds everywhere, stores that never seem to close, and even the street performers sing better than you on your best drunk night of karaoke!  For me, it was an experience that made me want to spend one of the most intimate experiences of my life, my wedding day, in the city that never sleeps.  That's a story for another day.  A novel of a story, really.

This trip we were focused on having the most fun we could while still trying to save our legs for the half marathon.  We flew in on a Wednesday night and by Thursday we had walked 13 miles... Oops. The Brooklyn Airbnb half marathon is said to be the largest half marathon in the country and I believe that.  There were 27,440 finishers this year!  You start at Prospect Park and run through Brooklyn to Coney Island, finishing on the boardwalk.  Amazing finish! We finished this year without any major set backs, which left time for delicious brunches, cocktails, and shows from all spectrums!
We started our trip with packet pick up and a fun late night Jazz Session at Swing 46 on 46th Street aka restaurant row. This is a great little spot where you can sip on hand crafted cocktails and watch top notch jazz music. There is also a dance floor large enough for several couples to enjoy, without losing the intimate feeling of the club. Joining them is much easier after a little Champagne and a free lesson... We did, why not!

I made sure to wear a classic, black dress to channel my inner Audrey. This sleeveless dress made of mixed fabric,  has a layered front which compliments every body type.  I paired this dress with gold, sandals and gold and pearl earrings.  I was happy with the way this look turned out.  You can shop this look on shopwillandtrust.com, which is set to launch soon.








We then headed over to another Jazz club called Smoke on Broadway.  This place was hosting a cool hip hop/jazz band called Nickel & Dime.

Now, if you have ever seen You've Got Mail you will love where we went Friday night.  We went to an adorable little spot on 83rd St. called Cafe Lalo.  We had amazing desserts and coffee then we soaked in the ambiance of this sweet, little spot.











     
Saturday was race day and we headed to Brooklyn to get in early enough to check bags and stand around freezing for 45 minutes before the race started. After it started I was revitalized at mile 5 (by the cute dog park, of course).  We ran down Ocean Parkway and made our way to Coney Island, which (makes you feel like you're in a movie set) is a really fun sight to see!








It started raining as soon as I finished so we grabbed an Uber and had Brunch at Milk & Honey which is on Newkirk Avenue in Brooklyn.  After a foot massage and a nap/shower I was ready to shop 5th Avenue, because 5th Avenue!
We dined in Chelsea that night at a tapas restaurant called El Quinto Pino on 24th St.  We chose this place because it was very close to the Comedy Club we went to afterwards, Upright Citizens Brigade. (UCB) Theater. UCB comedy club was home to Amy Poehler, Horatio Sanz, and Matt Besser, to name a few.  Highly recommend this place!
We left UCB and walked to the High line, a 1.45 mile long linear park on a disused New York City railroad spur that is has breath taking views of the city.  This is a very quiet place to walk with friends and just reflect on your day and the city.  I love that the Department of Parks and Recreation and Friends of the High Line made this place exist.








Sunday was our last day in the city. After packing up and ensuring our good reviews, we headed out for a bite to eat and happened to pass by an outdoor antique market.  I love a good antique store and just had to check it out.  There were lots of good finds and I ended up leaving with some old photographs that I found in shoe box.  Some people may find it sad that someone else's photographs are now sitting in a box being sold, but I don't see it that way.  I find it quite charming and nostalgic.  I hope that years after I'm gone people are looking through photographs I took of places I traveled to and want to keep them to look at themselves.  I see these old photographs as looking through the eyes of another person who was having a fabulous vacation and was very happy in that moment.  I think it's romantic that way.




I also ended up with a concrete mermaid that I knew would look amazing on my book shelf, and I was right!








From here we headed home by way of the sky.

Till next time New York City.

Where would you visit on your trip to New York City?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adulting made easy-ish!

As every career gal knows.. a normal day consists of trying to get up early enough to get in a workout, 530am.  You sleep in your workout clothes so you can sleep an extra 2 minutes, I mean, it's necessary.  You get to the gym or track and get back home in just enough time to shower and blow dry your hair.  (Which takes a surprising amount of time that no husband or boyfriend understands.)  You finish your routine, eat breakfast, grab a cup of joe, and turn on Matt and Al. Now pause , this is where it can get messy.  Do you spend the extra time getting ready or sitting down for 30 minutes before your 9 hour day begins. Yes, begins, it hasn't even started yet! It is important to make sure you feel good about yourself the rest of the day.  Sure, you worked out, you logged that! However, I always take a few extra minutes to put together an outfit that I feel good in, even if I pick it out the night before.  I have a few go-to pieces that never fail me and that's what I gr

The Graduate.

I t's time for big life changes and writing new chapters in your book. Graduation day is among us, you stayed up all night for the last time studying, you took your finals, and now you're a graduate.  Such a big accomplishment, all your hard work payed off and you are finishing school. However, now is the big question, where do you go from here?  As an about to be college graduate myself, I have had several people asking me what's next.  The truth is, I don't know.  I have no clue what I am going to do next and that's OK.  You don't have to have everything planned out right away.  Here is what you can do, plan for all the interviews you're going to be getting!  There is an art to interviewing, believe it or not.  Here are some of my tips for interviewing.  Imagine the following scenario... You just got the call saying your resume is fabulous, like you, and the prospect wants you to come in for an interview! After you set up a time, make sure the phone

The Weekender

Short weekend getaways can sometimes take the most planning. Why is that?  You would think you could pack light and get away with only a few outfits, but if you're like me you quickly realize you have at least three 'what ifs' laid out.  You know what I'm talking about, the 'what if we go here' or 'what if we decide to do this' outfit options. Last weekend I took a short work trip to Florida. I needed to pack for Friday, Saturday, and a coming home outfit on Sunday.  I started with a few staple pieces; a cotton dress, cute cloth shorts, swim suit, and a cocktail dress.  This escalated into a 'what if' we decide to go shopping and walk around to do some sight seeing, 'what if' we decide to go out Saturday night after the conference. Because of this I included some cute soft-pink shorts and a navy tank and an adorable stripped dress which is a step up from casual cotton.   Let's talk packing strategy.  Luckily my husband kn